Your smile is one of the first things people notice about you. It’s also one of your most important assets, so it makes sense to take care of your teeth. It can help you feel confident, boost your self-esteem and even improve your relationships.
If you’re looking for ways to improve your smile, a cosmetic dentist can help. But before you consider cosmetic dentistry, there are some things you should know.
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
This dentistry line is about making your teeth look beautiful and attractive. It’s not just about preventing cavities or fixing damaged or broken teeth.
It’s also about improving the appearance of your smile. Cosmetic dentistry is often used to correct imperfections in the teeth and mouth that can make you feel self-conscious or less confident.
While this type of dentistry isn’t necessary for everyone, it can benefit those who have suffered from traumatic injuries or certain types of tooth decay.
Kinds of Cosmetic Dentistry
There are several different types of cosmetic dentistry. Some are used to improve the appearance of your teeth, while others can help you feel more confident about your smile. Here’s a brief overview of the most common forms:
- Teeth Whitening: Whitening teeth can be a great way to brighten your smile and make you feel more confident about yourself. It’s also an excellent option for those who have stains from drinking coffee or tea regularly.
- Dental Veneers: Dental veneers are made of a thin layer of porcelain that is bonded to the front surface of teeth for cosmetic purposes. They’re often used to cover gaps between teeth, chips in the enamel, and other imperfections in the teeth. They’re also a great way to improve the appearance of stained teeth or discolored fillings.
- Crowns: Crowns are artificial caps that fit over the damaged parts of a tooth to restore its shape, strength, and function. They can be made from porcelain, metal alloys or natural materials like tooth-colored composite resin.
- Orthodontics: Orthodontic treatment can straighten teeth and correct bite problems. It’s also a great way to improve the appearance of your smile by closing gaps between teeth, removing teeth that are overlapping or crooked, or straightening crooked front teeth.
- Implants: Implants are artificial tooth roots placed in your jawbone to support a crown, bridge, or denture. They’re used to replace missing teeth or to anchor a dental implant-supported denture.
The Difference Between General and Cosmetic Dentistry
General dentistry deals with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of oral diseases. It also includes dental hygiene services like teeth cleaning and polishing. Cosmetic dentistry addresses the appearance of your smile by straightening teeth, whitening them, or reshaping them.
Is Cosmetic Dentistry Safe?
Cosmetic dentistry is safe when done by a qualified dentist with years of experience. While there are potential risks associated with any dental procedure, taking care of yourself before and after treatment can help reduce your risk of complications. If you have any questions about the safety of cosmetic dentistry, talk to your dentist about them.
Wear a Perfect Smile
Cosmetic dentistry is about making you feel good about yourself. That’s why it’s important to find a cosmetic dentist who understands your needs and goals. A great cosmetic dentist will always ensure you are comfortable with your treatment plans before moving forward.
Trust only Shallowford Family Dental, the best cosmetic dentist in Chattanooga, to provide you with the best results. Contact us today to schedule your consultation and get started on your perfect smile!